6/27/08

Chop Chop

I should really carry a camera with me all the time. I would, but it's kinda big and I already have to carry people and other things.

But there are so many times when I can be heard saying, "why didn't I bring my camera?!" The wee ones do some pretty funny stuff.

All of that randomness to say that I really wish I had my camera with a few days ago. We were visiting our friends Mackenzie, Olivia and Ellorie. On this particular visit, Mackenzie and I were patting ourselves on the back for our efficiency and multi-tasking skills. We were pretty much tooting our own horns, saying how well we juggled the kids, pool time, and dinner time. Like real champs, without even being crabby.

Then God laughed at us. I think. I can't be sure. But I'm of the opinion that we humans are quite a hoot in God's eyes, kinda like how our kiddos are such a hoot to us. He's got an excellent sense of humor. I picture Him laughing (along with CS Lewis, Moses, Paul, and the like) at the things we do, say, and think. But I digress...

What I mean is that God maybe thought it was cute that we had a discussion about our super duper mothering skills just moments before Miles and Olivia went off to the bedroom to "color," and cut their own hair.

Did I mention I wish I would have brought the camera? I'm sure you do too. Because Olivia's hair was something to behold (or scoop up off the ground). She completely chopped her bangs off, down to a tiny little reverse mohawk, and stood grinning at us as if she had just won a beauty contest. And her biggest fan, Miles, was standing right along side her, swinging his arms and stuttering over an explanation that included, "we shouldn't cut our hair though cause only big ladies do that." (Not as in hefty, but as in grown-up).

I sat down on the floor in shocked silence. But only for a second. Then I started laughing harder than I've laughed in a long time (which felt really good by the way). Maybe that didn't help the kids understand not to do this again. But I couldn't help myself.

I doubt I'll ever forget the horror in Mackenzie's voice when she came upon the scene, "no, you didn't. You didn't just do that...no you didn't...tell me you didn't, no, no, no..." All the while I'm laughing hysterically. How helpful.

We can check that good ol' rite of passage off the list now.

We tried to discuss not ever doing this again, but I have a feeling the lesson fell short on their little ears. I have this hunch because after the lecture, Olivia immediately asked for the scissors. And when we got home I asked Miles what he's going to say if Olivia ever whispers to him that they should go cut their hair. He looked at me wide-eyed and whispered, "I'm going to say....yeeaaah...."

2 clicked right here to comment:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Okay, I am laughing soooo hard right now! I love his honesty!

And thanks for reminding me to pack my camera - I'm leaving for my weekend away....uhhh...now!

Amy said...

Oh, I wish I could have been there...I mean, I'm so sorry...but, oh my, how hilarious. Kids are just TOO FUNNY!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs