9/3/08

Should I Worry?

Miles made up this song while in time-out yesterday:

(Imagine sing-song preschool boy voice)

"Dear God,
I'm dead.
I'm squished.
People squished me killed.
They were being funny,
then I start to feel sad.
And I was squished all the time.
My life was going to be dead."

Um....Now here's me defending myself as a loving mother:

Really, we don't ever talk about death and killing, unless he asks questions. Cause he's three. So we don't like to push the weight of the world on the poor little guy.

Secondly, he had just been "squishing" his brother. Hence, the time out.

And lastly, maybe he was just remembering his time in the womb. Because I'm pretty sure he was squished. And maybe that was uncomfortable at times, causing stress.

We really are okay parents. At least I'm pretty sure about that. I mean, our nine year old nephew thinks so anyway. Just this last weekend he turned to Ryan and said, "Asher is so lucky. He's going to grow up and find out he has really great parents."
(That was one of the best things I've ever heard.)

And also, I love slides. What child doesn't want a mother that loves slides?

It's hard to see, but here I am on the big slide at the State Fair, giddy with excitement.
Mr. Squished and Dead is with me.

And there's my dad with my nephew, just as thrilled as I was.
See?
I learned parenting skills from the best!

And my children look happy!

Weird songs aside, we're alright! Right? We're okay. Right?

16 clicked right here to comment:

The Three 22nds said...

You're alright. I had to tell that to myself when my little boy was trying a hellfire and brimstone conversion on his brother and said, "You don't want to go to Hell. There are no flashlights or guns in Hell." (and we had tried to really downplay Hell, not wanting it to be a focal point. But they are little boys and death and Hell are apparently interesting topics.)

The Three 22nds said...

Oh, I forgot to say: I think he is very creative. I think he will be a writer like you.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Part of my brain is thinking reassuring thoughts.

The other part is quoting "What About Bob."

"We're all going to die. I'm going to die."

If it's any comfort, Connor talks about "die-ing" people all day. I'm 99% sure he picked it up from the neighbor boys this summer. So I just calmly tell him we don't really encourage "die-ing" people in our family, and then let it be. I figure it's worse to bring attention to it at this point.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Our little Tongginator has twin invisible friends named Robbie and Tawby. (No - I cannot explain Tawby's name.) They die and then resurrect themselves on a regular basis. So you're normal... at least... you're normal to us.

emilycrowderphotography said...

Miles cracks me up! Anyway, my grandfather died a few months ago, around the same time as yours, Heather. There was another death in the family a few weeks later so Emma's heard a few conversations about death recently. Around that time is when she started to kill her dolls off one by one. She also has been asking a TON of hard to answer questions about death and dying. Though disturbing, I think it's normal...

K and/or K said...

that slide brings back an embarassing moment for me. one time in the winter i was driving through the fair grounds on my way to class and i stopped, for way too long to watch a little boy holding a burlap sack looking longingly up at the slide wishing it was summer. he didn't move. i thought he might be so cold he froze. turns out he was a statue. oops.

Heather of the EO said...

K and/or K-
Didn't Sabrina do the same thing?

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Last night Emma climbed on our babysitter's picnic table, raised her arms up, and shouted unintelligibly at the sky. My babysitter asked her who she was yelling at and she replied simply, "God."

Umm...we're good parents too. Really!

Becky said...

Funny stuff! I was the Sunbeam teacher in our last ward and let me tell you, kids say some crazy things. In addition to discussing bugs, death, and throwing up, I knew which moms were pregnant and which parents chose to spank their kids whether I wanted to or not. Gotta love those informative three years olds! :)

Blog Stalker said...

three year olds are the best! and they will keep you guessing for sure!

I am sure you are great parents.

Aquaspce said...

It's totally normal for little kids to talk about death. Now if he's fifteen, wearing all black, refusing to come out of his room, and leaving poems all over the house, I'd be concerned.
PS of course you're a good parent... if you weren't you wouldn't be concerned int he first place!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

No, you shouldn't worry :-)I think your son is just a creative spirit with a flair for theatre. I can't even make up lyrics like that so he's way advance talent wise. I don't know if this will help, but when my girl was a pre-schooler she'd sing with feelings an Alladin song when she gets in trouble. Something like this, "If only they'd look closer, they'd find out there's so much more to me." That used to just pinch my heart. Then this year as a senior in HS she was voted by her class, "Most Likely To Win An Oscar". I wonder why. But she is a very happy, well-adjusted girl. So don't worry.

Amy said...

Yeah, you're fine. ;) Mane has an imaginary "Baby Sister" (that's all she's ever called) who has died and come back to life a number of times. Sometimes there are more Baby Sisters (like 12) and they ALL die. Some days I ask Mane, "Where's your Baby Sister," and she'll say, "She's dead."

Mozi Esme said...

Scary! :)

I think back to the stuff I sang as a kid and am amazed my parents didn't start me on psychiatric sessions. There is something innocent in what kids come up with.

Randi said...

What a crack-up kid!
You're ok. He's just, um, creative, and highly attuned to what other kids are saying.

;)
You're doing great!

Anonymous said...

Oh, cute! My daughter has been asking about dying and death since she was 2. I love the song!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs