11/6/07

Give Me The Beach Boys

You know that song, "give me the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away." When I was a kid I thought they were saying "give me the Beach Boys..." I love it when people mis-hear lyrics, it's hilarious. Like when Phoebe on Friends sings that Elton John song, Tony Danza. Is Tiny Dancer right? Anyway...
So if you have a moment please share some mis-heard lyrics with me, it'll make me smile and I could use a smile. I'm about to fall asleep standing up.
I love music. I love words put to song. My favorite singer/songwriter is Sara Groves. I guess you could say she's a "Contemporary Christian artist," but her stuff is way different than other gospel/Christian stuff that you'd hear on say, KTIS. To be honest, a lot of that music makes me want to crawl out of my skin screaming, "GET REAL PEOPLE." But I digress and teeter on being really critical and judgemental so I'll move on. Back to Sara - she rocks. Such raw honesty in her music I can't even describe it. I'm always shocked at how she'll sing about something I've been trying to articulate my whole life and she'll be dead on. She's a mom, so ofcourse I love the songs about parenting and her love for her kids. It's not just that though. I love it how she admits struggles and confusion yet always comes back to a sincere love for God and other people. Her music, unlike other artists of her kind is not only about a personal struggle toward growing in one's own faith, but about the importance of having a very broad view of the world. Most importantly, it's about stepping outside of yourself and loving people.
So all that to say I got her new album yesterday and I'm going to over-play it as much as her previous albums which I've nearly worn out. If you haven't treated yourself to Sara before, now's a good time. Every album is worth buying. Wouldn't it be great if I were getting paid to say this? One more plug - she's on my link list if you want to check her out.

4 clicked right here to comment:

Sabrina said...

I used to think that Enya song "sail away, sail away..." was "Save a Whale, Save a Whale..."
And I thought that macy gray song when she says, "My world crumbles when you are not near", was "I wear goggles when you are not near." I have a ton more, that I will have to remember for Saturday night. I love Sara Groves too! She just says it best! So many of her songs have helped me through different and difficult times. I will be downloading her new album ASAP! That girl is amazing and annointed to touch others lives! whoo wheee! see ya saturday!

Kelly and Kyle Vlach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly and Kyle Vlach said...

I thought the carrie underwood song when she sings "scratched her name into his leather seats" was scratched her name into his Legacy". It made sense to me bc sabrina has a Subaru Legacy--but then I thought, who would sing about that kind of car???

Bartels Family said...

Heather - I use to sing " secret asian man " to secret agent man ... Trish of course corrected me after bursting into a fit of belly laughs - I had no idea! I have a bunch - I never know the lyrics to songs! hahahha Tona

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs