7/22/09

Boy, I'm going to miss them

Wednesday~July 22nd, 2009

I was leaving my friend's house tonight, exhausted from a day of trying to make up for procrastinating, when I passed through the living room and just plain wanted to sit down on the couch. No one was in there, my friend and her daughter were upstairs, getting ready for bed. But the TV was on and America's Home Videos was just starting. I had been running at such a fast pace all day, I just wanted to grab a pillow and curl up in a corner of the couch and then laugh at "The Silly Show," as Miles likes to call it.

I just wanted to relax, sit still, and let my brain shut down for awhile.

And then I really missed Miles because I knew he would love to sit and laugh with me. Before we unplugged, he really liked that show. So I hopped in the car to try to make it home in time to kiss him goodnight. I made it just in time for an incredible amount of stalling. On both our parts. More kisses. More hugs. More laughs. I already appreciate him more and I haven't even left yet.

I'd only been away from him for a few hours, and still I missed him and his brother and his Daddy like it had been a week. I suppose that's because I know I'll be leaving tomorrow and that's a rare occurrence.

Then later, as I organized and piled and grew even more tired, I handed Ryan Asher's medical card and asked him to put it in his wallet. It's always in mine. Then I wanted to cry, and then I did. He's going to be just fine, but a mother's connection is much too strong to pretend away.

So you guessed it. I'm pretty nervous about leaving my boys for four days.

I know it's going to be good for all of us and that I'm going to have a great time. I'm just going to miss them a whole lot.

My bags are almost packed and I'm boarding a plane tomorrow at 11:40 a.m.

Chicago, here I come! BlogHer, here I come! I know you have a lot to offer, but just so you know...you'll never even come close to being as cool as my boys. And just so you know, you might want to have the cameras rolling. I'm bound to do something that would be perfect for The Silly Show.

P.S. Asher's nose IS NOT broken. Apparently, the bump off the side of his nose is smooshed cartilage. As it heals, it will go back to normal. PHEW!

27 clicked right here to comment:

Elizabeth said...

It's so hard for me to leave my kids too! I hope BlogHer is a wonderful and fun time for you. Don't forget to sleep, because I'm sure it will be tempting to stay up all night chatting with friends.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Asher's nose isn't broken! Hooray!
Have so much fun at BlogHer, Heather. I hear you. I sometimes go to conferences and then I rush home to be with my hubby and doodles and all is right with the world. Have fun and then hurry home. Love and hugs!

Sheryl said...

oh....have a fabulous time!! so jealous and wishing i was well. you will be so close to me. maybe next time.

glad to hear it's just a smooosh and not a break.

Cynthia said...

I get that nervous feeling too. It's even worse if the hubs and I are going together without the kids. Still, it's going to be such a great opportunity for ALL of you. It's so important to have the opportunity to MISS our loved ones once in a while.

Can't wait to hear about all the fun stuff you did when you get back. Woo Hoo!

Kazzy said...

It's hard to leave the kids, but it is good for mommy to get a small break every now and again. Have a great time and soak it all up, girl.

Jessica Stock said...

It has been SO long since I've caught up on my blogs . .. I feel like I miss you! And I know that the boys will be so glad to have you home, but don't worry too much and enjoy yourself!!! Have a great time- can't wait to hear about it!!

Debbie said...

Another feather in your "good mama" cap! I love that you are missing them already. But, have fun! (And miss me a little if you want to.)

Amy said...

Have a glorious trip, Heather!!

sara said...

Yea! it's not broken!!! I am so happy for you and Asher!

My husband and I decided early on in our marrieage that we would take weekends away every year for just us and also one to be with just friends (ie girls weekend with my BFFs) It was hard at first to leave the kids, but I am so glad that we did!! I allowed me to keep in mind "me". we sometimes lose ourselves in our mommyness! And now that I am nearing empty nest, I am excited (yep!) because I can't wait to spend more time with my husband!! We have cultivated things we both enjoy together over the years during those times!

So, have a great time! enjoy yourself and then enjoy the reunion when you get home!!! :)

Corinne Cunningham said...

Have a wonderful time! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures :)

Chele said...

That is great to hear about his nose! I'll keep you and your family in my prayers the next few days. They will be fine! And you will have a great time! Can't wait to hear about it later! :)

Keyona said...

Have funny girlfriend! Daddy will take good care of them!

Jillene said...

It's hard to leave them but mommies need mommy time. And I promise that when you get back--you will love then even more!!

Lisa said...

It is weird not being with your children! I have a 13 month old and when I go out without him I am constantly thinking about him. I have even gotten in the car and have to think a minute to make sure I didnt leave him somewhere because Im so used to being with him!

Jo said...

Safe travels. You and your babies will do just fine.

Mammatalk said...

Oh! I want to go, too! But, it's my daughter's birthday on Saturday. I am expecting a full report!

jmt said...

Yea for smooshiness and BlogHer! You will be FAB, you'll have a GRAND time, and I hope your outfits are POY-FICT. :)

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

It is hard to leave but I am sure you will love having some time for yourself and then you'll get to come back home feeling refreshed and energized.

Liz Mays said...

I'm so glad his nose isn't broken!

Have a wonderful time at BlogHer!

...sensible of shoe said...

Thinking about leaving is hard. Actually leaving and being away, preferably on a beach, is awesome.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I had a trip like that in April and it was indeed so very hard. I'd had trips like that before though (the first was hard) and learned what a gift of perspective that time away is. Nothing is harder than leaving, and nothing more sweet than coming home after. Have a good time!

...sensible of shoe said...

You are going to be really popular at BlogHer!

Carrie said...

I'm SO glad Asher's nose isn't broken & I'm also glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about leaving their babies! My hubby wants to take a 'babymoon' trip this fall - before our new baby comes in December - he suggested TEN DAYS while his mom watched our son! And was a little miffed when I said that was too long, but it just is. I said four or five days is enough. :)

Muthering Heights said...

Have a GREAT time!

Dedee said...

I hope that you have a fabulous time and that your kiddos will love you even more when you come home!

Growin' With It said...

as hard as it is to leave...think about how GREAT it is coming back. i know what you mean, leaving our babies is hard. but hope the time away is a blast!!

JCK said...

I'm reading these backwards, but am even more happy for you that you were able to go! It is hard to be away from your children for 4 days, but also liberating. And...by the time you come back, you are SO ready to see them. And tired... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs