12/19/08

From the Mouth of Miles

Posted by Heather of the EO~ Friday, December 19, 2008


Miles is a true three-year-old. You know, cause he's three and stuff. I LOVE the way his mind works. He's got the best imagination and sense of humor. He's also quickly learning how to manipulate conversations as an attempt to get his way or escape being caught doing something he shouldn't.
For example, he's standing with the front door wide open, staring out at the snow while billows of foggy freezing air pour in the house and the warm air pours out, so his Dad asks him to close the door.

He doesn't.

Daddy asks again with a more...serious tone, so he slams the door and quickly spouts out, "I was just checking the tempiture."

Daddy- "Oh really, what's the 'tempiture' then?"

Miles- "Waaay TOO COLD!"

(Amen.)
---------------

We're driving to preschool and Miles has asked WHY over the same topic about thirty times (turning right on a red light) so I said, "Honey, can you think of another question besides why?"

Miles (without missing a beat) - "Yeah, who's John Wilson?"

Me (laughing) - "What? I don't know, where did you hear of John Wilson?"

Miles- "I don't know."

(I still have no idea what John Wilson he was referring to, by the way.)
---------------
He's standing on a chair on the other side of the counter while I make magic in the kitchen (mac-n-cheese) and he asks what I'm doing, while folding his hands in front of him and smacking his lips in a "I'm all serious" kind of way.

I tell him I'm making dinner and he says (while continuing the smacking and clasping of hands), "Well hmmm, I see... yes, and I preciate that."

To which I stifle a huge guffaw and say, "Oh, you appreciate that, huh? I'm so glad."

"Yeah (smack) I do (smack)...cause you're the worker."

You got that right, sweetie. Ya got that right...
---------------
"Mommy, I miss your old hair, but this new hair is good too."
(phew) (see yesterday's post.)

P.S. I'm off to take Asher to another follow-up at the hospital today. He seems to be feeling much better than he was, so we're hopeful that we'll hear we don't have to come back until his catscan in three months because everything looks SO good. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Asher has hydrocephalus and recently had a brain shunt put in--it's been quite the journey, but we're finally coming up over the horizon (or something else poetic like that.))

Oh, and I still haven't started my Christmas shopping-ACK!

26 clicked right here to comment:

Kristina P. said...

Clearly, Miles is a genius!!

Good luck with Asher today.

LisAway said...

What a cutie patootie. (I never say patootie, and don't really know how to spell it).

Hoping for good news for Asher!

Melanie Jacobson said...

You are a brave woman to take on Christmas shopping at this point in the game. If it were me, I'd wrap up empty boxes and when the recipients looked confused, I'd say, "I filled them with LOVE!" and then they would feel bad to complain.

Becky said...

Well, he could have been talking about John Wilson the Scottish politician. And there have been several John Wilsons in various Parliaments. Maybe John Wilson the physician, from Canada?

But he's three, so he was most likely talking about John Wilson, the former Red Sox pitcher.

(Yeah, I totally Googled John Wilson...)

Lara Neves said...

He is a crack up. Love the John Wilson question...that was out of the blue! But then, 3 year olds usually are out of the blue, aren't they!

Good luck with Asher and even better luck getting some shopping done!

Aquaspce said...

That is too funny! It's nice to know you're "preciated" huh!?!

I love little kids!

Also PS
I haven't started my Christmas shopping either!!!

Heidi said...

OMGosh! What a character! love it! He's adorable--hope everything goes great with Asher at the hospital. Maybe you can pick up Christmas gifts at the hospital gift store. Just saying . . .

The Mom Jen said...

So darling!!I love kidspeak

a Tonggu Momma said...

So... how does Miles feel about older women? The Tongginator and he have much in common.

Kelline said...

I love the open and honest things kids say! I hope Asher is still doing great, I love hearing his progress.

Sabrina said...

Maybe he meant:

Who is John Galt.

And if you can tell me what book that is fromm I will give you a present.

Stephanie said...

Oh, I can clarify. John Wilson was my high school friend's little brother. He was tall and skinny and liked basketball. Oh and he wore glasses. Hope that makes Miles day complete.

And Heather, thanks, 'preciate you.

S'dizzle said...

Thanks for the nice comment! Wow, you hair looks lovely, definitely a change.

So glad to hear Asher is feeling better. Miles is hilarious, which almost inspires me to think about birthing a child.

Anonymous said...

I always have to read these aloud to Husband because they're so funny! Miles just cracks me up big-time.

Keyona said...

Well it's nice to know he priciates that! Too funny!

Yeah, let's get off the computer and into Target. Get that shopping done girl! :o)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Absolutely have to love pre-school logic. My three year old and your three year old would be buddies. The other day he informed me that he needs to learn how to drive so that he can honk the horn. I replied that we would get right on that one! :0

Reading that you haven't started your Christmas shopping yet almost threw me into cardiac arrest. How are you handling it?

-Francesca

jmt said...

It's so cute when they pull out the big words. :) Watching them grow is bittersweet, for sure.

Debbie said...

I love those snippets! Especially when he 'preciated you. How adorable.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Is it creepy to say I love you kid? 'Cause I totally do!

Leah and Tom said...

Well (smack) welcome (smack) to the brunette club!

Praying for Asher!!

xo.

Melain said...

I love that you wrote this down! My kids all have a section in their baby books called "Famous Quotes" Those things have to be remembered.

and ps... Your hair looks fantastic! I heart brave people.

Kazzy said...

Dear Miles,

Thank you for asking about me. You are a good boy. I am doing just fine and looking forward to Christmas. I hope Santa brings you a present.

John Wilson

Growin' With It said...

hey, maybe "john wilson" is his imaginary friend!?

Mrs. Cox said...

Heather, you may not remember me, but I am from your hometown and I think we dated the same guy in high school! ha! I have been reading your blog for some time and love it. You have inspired me to start my own. Thank you!
Traci

Mozi Esme said...

Definitely a genius! He's more right than he knows...

And the hair is cute, btw!

Anonymous said...

Ok - glad I checked in. I need a good laugh. And not at your hair either! I love it! I sure hope you do. I would have never thought you and brunette....it sure works. I am sorry that I missed you last weekend! It would be good to see you and the boys as always. Roy will be home this week, yippee! Can I be a member of the sisterhood? Lata, KIM

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs